Agenda items requested by the participants, sorted by topic:
Last updated May 10, 2000,
1. AESTHETICS - Aesthetically pleasing natives?
2. AESTHETICS - What natives are the most attractive and how to use?
3. ANNUAL NATIVES - What do we do with annuals ? Can they be reseed themselves, or must we reseed ?
4. APPLICATION - Site preparation?
5. APPLICATION - Specification requirements?
6. APPLICATION - Various techniques for planting(drilling, hydroseeding...etc.)?
7. BENEFITS - Benefits of natives versus ornamentals?
8. CLIMATE - Minimum/maximum climatic, soil... etc.?
9. COMPETITION - Natives in the above environments that are most successful at out competing exotics during the establishment period (and beyond)?
10. COSTS - What are comparative costs ? Especially the long term maintenance costs ?
11. DESERT SPECIES - What is the best seed mix for upper and lower desert areas?
12. EROSION - Ability of various natives to control erosion?
13. EROSION CONTROL - Erosion control vs. revegetation?
14. EXAMPLES - Do you have sources for excellent "before" and "after" native landscaping ?
15. EXOTICS - Are non-natives from Arizona, Nevada, etc. BETTER THAN overseas aliens.
16. EXOTICS - Are some alien species now considered better than recent aliens (i.e. fountain grass)
17. EXOTICS - How will introduced native species affect the surrounding plant community?
18. EXOTICS - Is there a compromise between native - non-native ? Come on tell the truth.
19. HYDROSEED - "Duff" vs. hydroseeding? Which is best for erosion control vs. reveg.?
20. HYDROSEEDING - What is the best application method of hydroseeding slopes steeper than 2:1
21. IRRIGATION - Irrigation duration needed for different natives?
22. IRRIGATION - Should include some irrigation?
23. LOCAL ECOTYPES - Must we really use seeds from our immediate area ?
24. LOCAL ECOTYPES - Will locally adapted varieties be used or available?
25. MAINTENANCE - Maintenance activities required for success?
26. MAINTENANCE - What would it take to make natives survive in CT R/W under normal maintenance conditions?
27. METHODS - San Bernardino mountains and foothills species revegetation--methods, species mixes, seeding, soil specifications, etc.?
28. MONITORING - Monitoring methods?
29. MYCHORIZAE - Does it really make a difference to use mychorizae inoculant with non-irrigated hydroseed mixtures?
30. NATIVE AMERICA INVOLVEMENT - Can we coordinate with Native American consultant to plant resource species (e.g. basketry materials)?
31. NATIVE AMERICAN UTILIZATION - Will certain species cause safety issues by encouraging roadside collecting in inappropriate locales?
32. NATIVE TREES - Especially what NATIVE TREES can we use?
33. NATURAL RESEEDING - Discussion about natural re-seeding process and how to give it a jump-start or ensure success?
34. PLANT INSITU LOCATIONS - Identification of locations for various natives?
35. PLANTING SEASON - Optimum planting seasons?
36. SEED AVAILABLE - Availability of seeds?
37. SEED ISSUES - Pure live seed vs. bulk seed?
38. SEED MIXES - What are the criteria for seed mixtures?
39. SEEDING - Success rate of natives when planted as seed?
40. SEEDING RATE - For erosion control, how many seeds per sq. ft. should be used.
41. SEEDING RATE - How do we determine viable and appropriate density/distribution?
42. SEEDING RATES - Application rates of various seeds?
43. SUCCESS - Methods and practices to increase/ensure chances of revegetation success in a desert environment, especially when no irrigation is used?
44. SUCCESS - Requirements for successful growth?
45. SUCCESSFUL NATIVES - Highly successful species?
46. SUCCESSFUL NATIVES - Natives most suitable for use in CT R/W?
47. SUCCESSFUL SPECIES - Species recommendations in relation to present conditions?
48. SUCCESSFUL SPECIES - Species that require the most care
Thank you for your survey responses.
Updated April 3, 2016. Back to Craig Dremann's main Contents page.